Get a Police Records Check
If you require a Criminal Record Check, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check or a Vulnerable Sector Check, please read the information below.
NEW: Effective April 1, 2022 amendments were made to the Police Records Checks Reform Act
What does this mean for volunteers?
- Police services are required to provide a Criminal Record Check or Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check at no charge. Additionally, they are required to provide up to five free copies if requested at the time of the initial request.
- The "no charge" police check DOES NOT apply to volunteers that are requested to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Check.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Before applying for an online police record check, please read all information seen below and contained on the online portal. NO REFUNDS will be issued.
- NEW: Volunteers: An organizational letter confirming their volunteer/unpaid status will be required for upload. This must be in the form of a letter from the sponsoring agency or employer, on official letterhead, and be specific to the applicant. Form letters will not be accepted.
- PLEASE NOTE: To use the online process, a $9.95 (plus tax) processing and authentication fee will be added to the price of each police background check. This price is exempted under the new amendments as it applies to third party entities and not the Brantford Police Service. If you do not wish to pay the fee, you may follow the Apply in Person instructions listed below.
- Applicant must verify that they live in the City of Brantford.
- You must pay your taxes to the City of Brantford.
- The Brantford Police Service would respond to your address if you called the police.
- If you are unsure, please contact the Records Branch at 519-756-0113, ext. 3336 for verification.
- We do not recommend that you attempt to use this system if you:
- Have lived in Canada for less than one year
- Are under the age of 18 (note: if you are applying for a government position the age restriction is reduced to 14 however your employment details will be verified).
- Have no established personal credit history – i.e. no credit cards, bank loans, mortgage – you will require this in order to authenticate your ID.
- If fingerprints are necessary for any reason, the online process will stop and the applicant will be advised that they are required to attend the Brantford Police Service at 344 Elgin Street, Brantford to complete their processing.
- Completed Records Checks will be available for download.
Apply Online using the Online Police Background Record Check portal: (http://www.policesolutions.ca/checks/services/brantford/)
Apply in Person
You can apply in person at the Brantford Police Service, 344 Elgin Street, Brantford, Ontario
Fill out the Application for Police Record Check Form, bring Acceptable Identification and pay the application fee as indicated on the Fee Schedule.
Completed Records Checks will be mailed to the applicant.
NEW: Volunteers: An organizational letter confirming their volunteer/unpaid status will be required. This must be in the form of a letter from the sponsoring agency or employer, on official letterhead, and be specific to the applicant. Form letters will not be accepted.
Any questions, concerns, or if you are unable to use the online portal, please call the Records Branch at 519-756-0113 ext. 3336.