Freedom of Information Requests
The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), is legislation that covers Ontario's municipalities and local boards, including police services.
How to Make a Request:
A Freedom of Information: Access - Request Form is provided for your assistance.
You must provide enough detail in your request to assist us in identifying the record(s) you wish to access upon a reasonable effort. For example, indicate the subject of the record, specific events, dates or locations which might be relevant. If you don't provide enough detail for us to locate the record(s), we will ask you for clarification.
If you are seeking access to your own personal information, and your personal information may be under a former name, please provide that name as well.
- Complete the Freedom of Information: Access- Request Form
- Provide a photocopy of your government issued identification
- Submit the legislated $5.00 application fee. We do not accept personal cheques or take credit card payments over the phone.
The completed form, photocopy of identification and the application fee should be mailed to:
Brantford Police Service
P.O. Box 1116
344 Elgin Street
Attention: Freedom of Information
Normally, a request must be processed within 30 calendar days. This means that the Service must either provide access to the requested record or notify the individual that the information is exempt under the specific provisions of the Act. If the institution requires a time extension for any reason, then the requester must be notified.
How to apply for Freedom of Information if you currently reside out of town or province:
- Complete the Freedom of Information: Access - Request Form
- Requestor must attend their local police service with their identification, so it can be verified (date and signed by police service)
- Mail the FOI Access/Correction Request form, verified identification and $5.00 application fee. Note: Payment must be cash or money order. We do not accept personal cheques or take credit card payments over the phone.
- Once the FOI request is completed, the information will be mailed to the requestor